Saturday, November 19, 2016

Food for Thought Regarding The Civil War

In 1861, Americans went to war over abolitionism. In January of 1861, seven (southern) states declared secession from the United States of America. These states combined to become the Confederate States of America. In April of 1861, the Confederacy grew to eleven states. The remaining states were known as the Union. The Union attacked Fort Sumter near Charleston, South Carolina, that April, and the war began. The Civil War, or War Between the States as it is called in the south, was the bloodiest war in U. S. History. The war ended in the spring of 1865 with the surrender of the Confederate armies and the collapse of the Confederate government and slavery was abolished.

Many of our ancestors fought in the Civil War; most of them were from the south and fought for the Confederate states. I have found only a few that fought for the Union. I've always wondered this: if I had been born and raised in the south in the 1800s or before, would I have favored slavery or not? If I were raised to believe in slavery, and lived my life with slaves, would I have been in favor of secession? Its hard to say -- I would like to think that my opinion would have been the same as it is now, that all men are created equal. Or that if I did live in the south and my family had slaves, I would be the one secretly teaching the slaves to read and write. 

Regardless of my opinion now, I have always had a fascination with the Civil War and the South. Unfortunately, I remember all too well that my paternal grandfather, who was born in Macon, Georgia, was biased. When he was alive and we heard him call names, we "tsk tsk'd" him, so quite possibly I would have been a Union sympathizer living in the south and keeping my mouth shut-or not!

Something that bothers me is that boys fought this war, as did old men. For example, here is a photo of a young man who fought for the Confederacy. He looks to be about 12 years old! 

He was a Union soldier.

Private James W. McCulloch of Co. E 7th Georgia Infantry Regiment


What a lovely keepsake this is. I can't read the newspaper clippings.

Both of these photos were on the Facebook page, Old Photo Archive. They 
found them in the files of the Library of Congress. If you would like to see more
photos from the Civil War, click this link:  Old Photo Archive - Civil War Photos

Ta ta for now, 
Nancy

2 comments:

  1. Not all of our family had slaves. Jonathan Wilder had them in Georgia. One of his sons, Will, moved to Noxubee County, MS and had none nor did his son, John Wesley. They all fought for the South and its beliefs. I agree with you, Nancy. Would we fall into the slave ownership category or would we make a change for equality?
    Carl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input, Carl. (I'm glad someone is reading the blog, LOL!)

    ReplyDelete