Sunday, November 27, 2016

Flights of Angels



I've been reading epitaphs again. I had to stop, though, I was starting to tear up and I don't even know the people. I read funny ones first; some can't be repeated here!

An epitaph is a funeral oration, or a short text honoring a deceased person. It comes from the Greek word, "epitaphios."

Some of the funnier ones:

On Rodney Dangerfield's headstone: There goes the neighborhood.


Apparently this isn't a real headstone, rather, it is at Disneyland!


Andrew J. Olszak, 1895-1979: Abandoned in old age by wife and children. May God be more understanding.

Robert Clay Allison, an Old West gunslinger: He never killed a man that did not need killing.


Indeed!

Some of the nicer epitaphs: 

And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance.



Dance then, wherever you may be. Sydney Carter from Lord of the Dance 

And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
The song is ended but the melody lingers on. Irving Berlin


Today she dances with angels.

Be sure wherever I may roam, my heart is with your heart at home.

And a sad one: 
My goodness. Poor Herman.

I hope you had a beautiful day of thanks with friends and family. Ours was wonderful!

And now, the season of Advent. Remember, Jesus is the Reason for the Season!

Ta ta for now,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment