Sunday, July 10, 2016

Occupations & Irritations

I have been jotting down more occupations. This was a surprise: in 1920, a woman was a cashier in a dry goods store. I have not run into many females employed in that early time period. In fact, I think there was only one or two in all the records I have been researching - and believe me, I have been researching. I have run into women working in the early days but that was before they got married. Once the women were married they were home with the children. And there were lots of children. This woman cashier was married and there were children so that is why I was surprised. After WWII it became more prevalent in our society for the woman/wife to work to make ends meet.

Some other occupations: 
  • truck driver (then and now)
  • machinist in heating /furnaces
  • locomotive engineer
  • shoe manufacturer
  • bookkeeper
  • purchasing agent at shipyard
  • pilot on St. Andrew's Sound (not airplane pilot; tugboat maybe?)
  • salesman for house wrecking business
  • presser at a men's garment factory
  • hairdresser apprentice
These were all men's occupations. I am especially impressed by the hairdresser apprentice. I guess that could be a barber.

I'm still looking at publishers. Haven't found "the one" just yet. It's okay, though. The write (heehee) one will come along just at the right time.

Have a good week--is it going to be a short one for you?

Ta ta for now,
Nancy






No comments:

Post a Comment