Saturday, July 16, 2016

More Technical Stuff (Kind of)

In doing my family tree I had to utilize some tactics for continuity. Therefore, all the woman have been entered with their maiden names. That is a standard practice for genealogists, if I remember correctly. If I do not know a woman's maiden name, I use the term "Unknown." I am able to change it if I find out a name later on.

Another little tactic is the way I enter the dates. I put the day first, then the month, then the year. For example, today is July 16, 2016. I would enter it as such: 16 Jul 2016 with no periods and abbreviating the month to the first three letters. Why? Standards. This is the way dates are written in England and perhaps other countries as well, and it is the way dates are entered in Ancestry.com. Since I am using Ancestry.com, and Find My Past, a United Kingdom website, I followed suit.

These little tidbits will come in handy when you get your information back from me. I'll try to write a letter that covers these and send it with your printouts since it might be awhile before I do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment