Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Library Research

About 15-20 years ago when I was doing our family history/genealogy, I frequented libraries. I specifically frequented LDS Family History Libraries, but other public libraries as well. Today I went to the Tillamook County Public Library. It is beautiful! Large, colorful, friendly, bathrooms on each floor (that's important to me!) and it has an elevator. That's also important to me with my still aching foot and now an aching knee. I tell ya, getting old is ... painful?

Anyway, I didn't really find what I was looking for but I need to get a library card and then I can check out books, ask for inter-library loans, etc. Because I'm certain that some of the books I want will have to be shared from other libraries. Those I'd really like to find are somewhat regional so I didn't expect TCPL to have them. I found a little bit of info and got my feet wet so I feel it was a successful trip. The manager, Sarah, was so nice and helpful.

I would like to be able to search newspapers but I don't want to pay for another membership and it seems like every organization on the Internet charges at least $9.95 a month. I already subscribe to three online research/genealogy sites: Ancestry.com, Fold3 and Find My Past. So the flyer I found for the Tillamook Family History Center at the local LDS church by the Tillamook Genealogy Study Group made my day! They are open on Tuesdays and Thursdays for a few hours each day. I will be going!

As I've said before, the more I write and search, the more I need to write and search! I have one year to finish it all up. My self-imposed goal. Of course, I want it to be done before then!

Please send your info sheets back to me ASAP so you don't accidentally throw them out. I won't accept the excuse that the dog ate it!

The link for the House of Burnett is here: House of Burnett.

Ta ta for now,
Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment