Sunday, July 3, 2016

Genealogy, Memoirs, Resources

Do you wonder how I find information about our ancestors? It's not easy all the time. Over the years I have purchased multiple books with information on where to look for my ancestors. One particular book I purchased was $60. It is titled, "Randolph, County Indiana 1818-1990." It was a publication compiled by the Randolph County Historical Society in Winchester, Indiana. Some of the Dillon ancestors settled there and some moved on. This book is a beautiful, hardbound tome with over 600 pages and it is about 8-1/2" x 11". Prior to that, a man named Ebenezer Tucker wrote a book chronicling the county up to the year 1818. I just learned of this book recently and would love to have a copy of it - it has been republished - but it is quite a bit more than I paid or the previous book and I'm not sure I can justify spending that kind of money for the scant information it may offer me. (I purchased the other one in about 1998 and it is a lot more $ now.) Other books I have in my library are "how-tos" and reference books, regional geographical and history books, etc.

There is a great difference in research now and research when I first began about 20 years ago. A lot of information over the years has been digitized and is available on the Internet. It is rather frustrating, however, because every depository has a cost. Sometimes you can get a free trial but after that you must buy membership, and even then you don't always get all the info you need without paying out more money. I do have to remind myself how expensive it would be to fly to the different areas where our ancestors lived and research in their courthouses and libraries! Right now my memberships are: Ancestry.com, Fold3 (military) and Find My Past (United Kingdom).

At one time I belonged to several regional genealogical societies. I have not joined any recently. I have attended seminars, taken classes and read many, many books in the search for information. I've visited graveyards in Georgia, Oregon, Washington and Nevada; visited libraries including one in Savannah, Georgia and another in Macon, Georgia, as well as those in Washington and Oregon.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that genealogy is a time consuming and resource rich hobby and I feel I am well-qualified to take your information and put it into a family history/memoirs book that you may wish to read. We all wonder about our ancestors and some day our descendants will wonder about us, as we will have become their ancestors. You will be able to pass on to them a book that will outlast generations!

     I've added a few images of a fraction of the books I have at my disposal in my home library.

Ta ta for now!
Nancy

PS - If you haven't returned the information sheet I sent to you, will you please consider doing so as soon as possible? Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment