Saturday, June 25, 2016

A Historical Building in Portland, Oregon

Last weekend my friend, Teri, and I along with Dave Burnett and Greg Asher, went to the Portland Gay Mens' Chorus presentation of The Divas. It was held in the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall in downtown Portland's South Park District. I had no idea we would be going to a historic and beautiful venue until I was checking online for something and saw a photo of the ceiling. I am a sucker for anything vintage, antique or historic, as you know from reading my blog and my Facebook page. As we drove through the downtown area I tried to find the building my paternal grandfather, Rufus Lee Burnett, moved to Oregon to manage. I didn't spot it.


"The Schnitz," as it is sometimes referred to, was built in 1928, the same year construction on the Spalding Building  (the building Grandad managed)  started. At first the concert hall was a movie theater, Portland Publix Theater, a vaudeville venue. In 1930, it became the Paramount Theatre and sometimes it is still called "The Paramount."  It is home to a number of organizations, including the Oregon Symphony and the Portland Center for Performing Arts.



The building is now on the National Register of Historic Places, as the Paramount Theatre.


I won't go into detail about the life of the building or its interior architecture, but I will share some photos with you. If you get the chance, go to a concert or presentation of some kind and you will marvel, as I did, at the beautiful, historical design. They just don't make 'em like that anymore!

The Schnitz is a popular wedding venue.

This photo credit : By User:Cacophony - Own work, CC BY 2.5, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1714491

Ta ta for now,
Nancy

4 comments:

  1. You me and Patti went there in 56 or 57 and saw Cinderella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I have no memory of it! I know your Mom would take us to movies. Remember Darby O'Gill and the Little People? We saw that one in Hillsboro.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason all your messages come twice so I deleted one.

    ReplyDelete