I love reading the epitaphs on headstones. I thought I'd share a few with you today.
Today's title was actually used on a headstone. The deceased chose it himself. The lyric was from a song by Mentor Williams.
Some symbols common on headstones and their meanings:
- Just when we learned to love him most God called him back to heaven (1919)
- Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
- Always loving, always loved.
- And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance. (Gibran)
- And flights of angels shall sing ye to thy rest.
- Real love stories never end.
- The winter is past flowers appear on the earth and the singing of birds is come.
- Should we lose each other in the shadow of the evening trees, I'll wait for you, and should I fall behind, wait for me. (Bruce Springsteen)
- For all of us you did your best may God grant you eternal rest.
- Gone is the face we loved so dear, silent the voice we loved to hear.
- Peace is thine and sweet remembrance is ours.
Butterfly - Shortened life
Angels - Spirituality, Guardians of the grave/tomb
Cherubs - Innocence
Holy Bible - Christian